Dragon*Con under fire from more professionals; former congressman is now Ed Kramer’s lawyer

As reported last week, the incarceration and legal maneuvering of accused sex offender and Dragon*Con founder Ed Kramer has led more people, including professionals, to call for a boycott of the con while Kramer is receiving money for it. Tony Isabella, who attended the con far in the past, still has what might be termed a vivid account of it:

 

On my first day at that long-ago Dragon*Con, a young woman offered me sex if I would let her stay in my hotel room. It was the most uncomfortable elevator ride – yes, we were in an elevator and we weren’t the only passengers – of my life.   I generally relate this tale in discreet terms and describe the offer far less explicitly than she did.  In reality, she didn’t disguise it in the slightest. Making me more uncomfortable was her age, as in underage.  Maybe 16 at best.  When I declined her offer, she looked at me as if I were a freak.

One evening at the convention, looking for some of the few people I knew or a relatively quiet party, I stumbled into an honest-to- gosh slave auction.  With slaves being pretty clearly offered for the sexual entertainment of their buyers.  Maybe it was some sort of elaborate role-playing thing, but it creeped me out.  It would not be the last thing that creeped out that weekend.  I never had the slightest interest in returning.

While Dargon*Con is definitely known for its consensual adult role-playing and fun, Isabella alleges that more coercive events have taken place and are being covered up. He says that many other professionals and celebrities have decided to forego attending but have yet to go public.

Writer Steve Niles has also joined the boycott:

So there’s that. I’m sorry a long running popular con has a pedophile in their ranks, but instead of continuing to victimize these kids (now men seeking justice) it’s time for everybody in fandom to show the world we aren’t a bunch of selfish nerds, but caring humans who love and respect others. Is that so much to ask for?

While it’s worth noting that Kramer has yet to be tried for his crimes—and his lawyers are doing a bang up job of making sure that he never does—even the events that are indisputable are unpalatable enough for many to decide to stay away.

Via: The Beat

4 thoughts on “Dragon*Con under fire from more professionals; former congressman is now Ed Kramer’s lawyer

  1. Amy Bailey
    May 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

    I think I remember reading if they did anything like deliberately kill D*con to get rid of Kramer, he could sue them all. He seems to be extraordinarily litigious. So they can’t even start up a new corp for a new con and use it as a substitute. He is banned from the con. He won’t allow a buy-out that would be more profitable than his stake in the con. They would have to entirely kill D*C and have no replacement at all. Nothing for several years at the least. And he could STILL likely sue them if they did that. I think they are waiting until he is actually convicted of a crime. Then they might be able to do something. But in our United States, we are innocent in the law until proven guilty. This is usually a very good thing. Sometimes it’s very difficult.

  2. David Levenstam
    May 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

    Oh the D*con went down
    In the cellar to pray
    He fell asleep
    And he stayed all day!

  3. David Levenstam
    May 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM

    Apparently there are many versions of the lyrics featuring the D*con. :-D

    http://www.lyricstime.com/unknown-aint-gonna-grieve-my-lord-no-more-lyrics.html

  4. Jonathan Evilboy Wolk
    May 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

    What Amy said!

Leave a Reply