‘Doctor Who’ Star Joins Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Karen Gillan, who starred as Doctor Who’s companion for several seasons on the hit BBC show, is joining the cast of Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy.

The movie is barreling towards a late-June shoot in the U.K. with James Gunn behind the camera.

The movie is in casting mode, with Glenn Close joining the roll call earlier this week. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista lead the cast of Marvel’s space adventure movie, which has Lee Pace and Michael Rooker as villains.

Details for Gillan’s role were not revealed, although it is known she will play the film’s lead female villain.

The Scottish actress played companion Amy Pond in Doctor Who’s fifth through the recently ended seventh series. The character was hugely popular and appeared in Doctor Who books, apps and video games. Gillan has several indies in the can, including Oculus, a horror flick with Katee Sackhoff.

via: Hollywood Reporter

20 thoughts on “‘Doctor Who’ Star Joins Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

1. David Levenstam
    June 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I always knew Amy Pond was a superhero!

2. Amy Bailey
    June 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

‘Course. Her name is Amy. It’s a code.

3. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM

What’s the code?

4. Stephanie Leasure
    June 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Not superhero, supervillain ;P

5. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Yes, I’ve been waiting for someone to correct that, Stephanie. 😀

6. Amy Bailey
    June 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM

The code is “Amy”. Means she’s super. *chuckle*

7. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Well super is better than schlepper. 😀

8. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM

My dad used to refer to Superman as Schlepperman. 😀

9. Amy Bailey
    June 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM

When I was 4, my dad won a trivia contest about superman, won a full-scale cardboard telephone box and everything. He donated the telephone box to my preschool. I remember being very upset that we didn’t keep it for ourselves. 🙂

10. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I’d have wanted to keep the telephone booth too. I wonder how long it will be before nobody remembers what a telephone booth was?

11. Amy Bailey
    June 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Booth! Yes, that’s the word. About as long as anyone remembers why we talk about “dialing” a number when we’re pressing buttons.

12. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM

With “dialing” though we still have a reason to use the term, but why would people still talk about phone booth? Heck, last time I looked for a public phone I couldn’t even find one of those much less one inside an actual booth. 😀

13. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM

This is what we had when I was growing up, and all the phone numbers started with two letters, like RA8 for Ravenswood 8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rotarydial.JPG

14. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM

When I was a kid some people referred to their refrigerators as ice boxes, although I never saw anyone with a real ice box nor an ice delivery truck in my life. I don’t think though that I’ve heard anyone refer to a refrigerator as an ice box for decades though. Maybe I should start the practice back up and see if it catches on. 😀

15. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Has anyone here ever read any of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics? They’ve been round since the 1960s, and set in the 31st century seem to be Marvel’s answer to DC’s Legion of Superheroes, but I never even heard of them before last month when reading about Marvel Studio’s movie plans. Mostly they’ve appeared in the comics of better-known superheroes, but they had their own title for a while in the 1990s and then again in the 2000s.

16. Amy Bailey
    June 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

“Dial” is because of rotary phones. The circular thing in the center is the dial. There are probably less rotary phones in use than phone booths.

17. David Levenstam
    June 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I know why we use the term “dial,” since I grew up with rotary phones before anyone had touch-tone phones (as I showed in the photo above). But since we keep making phone calls, we keep using the term “dial” even though the dial has long since departed. Why would anyone, however, use the term “phone booth” anymore? You couldn’t even remember the term at first and your father won one years ago. Even by 1978 phone booths had become uncommon enough to allow Richard Donner to make a joke in Superman the Movie out of the disappearance of phone booths.

18. Amy Bailey
    June 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

True!

19. David Levenstam
    June 6, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Who Are the Guardians of the Galaxy?