We Aimed and Misbehaved!
On Sat., Jul. 20, 2013, the Sci-Fi Fantasy Outpost hosted its eighth annual charity event—Can’t Stop the Serenity – Washington, D.C.—at the Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse, with a condensed performance on Fri., Jul. 19! We played to 255 attendees on Sat. and 213 attendees on Fri.
Altogether, we raised over $6,500 for our three charities: Equality Now and Kids Need to Read (the signature charities of Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion, respectively), and the Tahirih Justice Center.
The 2013 show included:
- Screenings of Joss Whedon’s “Serenity” (2005) and “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog” (2008).
- A costume contest for best dressed as any Firefly/Serenity character.
- A SECOND costume contest for best dressed as ANY character from ANY Joss Whedon production, including characters from “The Avengers”, “Buffy”, “Angel”, “Dollhouse”, “Dr. Horrible”, and more!
- Raffles, door prizes, and a silent auction!
And if that wasn’t enough, fanboy rock star Mikey Mason gave a musical performance no geek could ever forget, featuring material appeared on Nerdist.com, SyFy’s Blastr.com, Time Magazine’s Techland, and MTV’s Geek News! He even played “Browncoats of Summer,” a one-off parody inspired by the Tidewater Browncoats.
We extend a heartfelt thanks to the organizers and volunteers who made the event such a success.
Heather Archer • Brian Archibald • Robert J. Burns • Ken Byrer
Bruce Fuchs • Johnny Hunter • Jane Koska • Eugenia Martin • Chrissy Mead
Vanessa Sigstad • Gabrielle Van Massenhove • Tracy Vivlemore
We are especially grateful to our sponsors, who donated goods and services for our raffle and silent auction.
- The Argonaut
- Atlas Arcade
- Big Planet Comics
- The Doubleclicks
- Gale Force Nine
- Game On! Comics
- Molly Lewis
- Maryland Renaissance Festival
- Medieval Madness
- Paul and Storm
- Shore Leave Convention
Finally, a very special thanks to fanboy rock star Mikey Mason for donating his time and talent to our event.