All you Cumberbatch-hangers flipping out over the headline will have to bear with me. I want to talk a little about Dirk Maggs first. He is, after all, the man who had the great idea to even connect Benedict Cumberbatch and Neverwhere in the first place.

Maggs made his name working in radio drama, coining the phrase “audio movies” for his elaborate, sonically rich adaptations of Douglas Adams‘ third, fourth and fifth Hitchhiker’s Guide books. He’s also adapted Batman, Superman, Judge Dredd and even An American Werewolf in London into radio serials and, most recently, he reimagined Neil Gaiman‘s Neverwhere. It was a fine production with a remarkable cast… but I’ll come back to that in a moment.

While Maggs has worked across many media, including the stage, TV and video games, his focus as always been on the soundtrack, always on what we’re listening to, not what we’re looking at. For a new project, though, he’ll have to share what he can see with his mind’s eye and not just what he hears with his mind’s ear.

Maggs has told Den of Geek about his plans to stretch out:

The other thing I’m doing are some filmed webisodes, which are a sci-fi space thing that we’re doing with Dave Gibbons, Andy Secombe [the voice of Watto from Star Wars] and Simon Moorhead [the producer of MirrorMask]. And that’s called Torus. We hope to shoot a ten-minute taster for that in the new year. I’m excited to try working in a new medium, trying something I’ve never seen before. And you know, maybe it’ll be crap, but hopefully it won’t be!

One really can’t say fairer than that.

As I was saying, and have said before, Maggs’ Neverwhere had a remarkable cast. James McAvoystarred as Richard Mayhew, David Harewood was The Marquis, and – to much Tumblr fuss – Benedict Cumberbatch was The Angel Islington, all of whom would be as much of a credit to a feature film version.

…read more
Via: Bleeding Cool Comic News+

8 thoughts on “Benedict Cumberbatch To Star In A Neverwhere Movie? Meanwhile, Dirk Maggs Branches Out

1. Amy Bailey
    June 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I still need to finish listening to this audioplay! Lost track and forgot about it – or parts weren’t freely available or something. I just finished re-re-re-listening to the one read by Neil Gaiman.

2. Amy Bailey
    June 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

3. David Levenstam
    June 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Speaking of Bandersnatch, I wish they’d make a movie out of Ringworld or one of the other Larry Niven greats!

4. David Levenstam
    June 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

5. Amy Bailey
    June 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

That would be tough… though with today’s greenscreening not so bad, perhaps. It’s been probably 6+ years since I read one of his books, so a bit fuzzy to the memory.

6. Amy Bailey
    June 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

7. David Levenstam
    June 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I haven’t read Larry Niven since I was a kid some 40 years ago. I guess it might be hard to animate some of the fantastical creatures, like the Pearson’s Puppeteers, but as I recall, Niven wrote great stories with interesting characters, and today’s filmmakers sure like to spend money on special effects!

8. David Levenstam